|1 IDENTIFY OPPORTUNITIES|
• Inform Innovators on intellectual property protection and commercialization process
• Conduct internal outreach to source top commercial opportunities
• Obtain invention disclosures from innovators and begin conversation about value generation and legal protection
• Engage IP&C as early as possible
• Complete an invention disclosure to IP&C before any public disclosures (including research papers and posters)
• Give thought to who made inventive contributions to idea (external and internal)
• Provide information on any grants used to fund invention
|2 INNOVATION EVALUATION|
• Provide context on market need and potential investor interest
• Assess patentability of disclosure:
• Is there any prior art (evidence against originality of disclosure) or public disclosures?
• Is this sufficiently inventive?
• Does this have credible and specific utility?
• Meet with IP&C to discuss invention and answer questions such as:
• What is the unmet need and what is the market?
• What are your technology’s advantages over current solutions?
• Are other companies/academics working in this area?
|3 IP STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT|
• Develop overarching strategy and approach for legal protection of invention
• Develop agreement (with Innovator) on data generation and progress expectations
• Manage deadlines and complete IP filings with respective offices
• Meet with external patent agent to draft application and claims
• Provide data generation updates to IP&C
• Review prior art to differentiate invention and strengthen claims
• Review office actions and provide responses prior to deadlines
|4 DEVELOPMENT, STRATEGY, FUNDING & PARTNERSHIPS|
• Identify opportunities for investment and capital – leveraging internal and external funding sources
• Identify and engage the right development partners such as advisors, key opinion leaders, EiRs,
and contract research organizations
• Prepare applications for internal and external funding
• Help rationalize development plan, based on investor feedback and funding constraints
• Engage in strategy development discussions
|5 MARKETING & DEAL NEGOTIATION|
• Solicit interest and manage engagements with external parties such as potential investors and licensing partners
• With Innovator, identify best partner for successfully bringing invention to market
• Negotiate terms for corporate license or for start-up creation
• Look for grant opportunities to engage companies
• With IP&C guidance, develop a pitch that balances science and business, and present to external parties
• Inform IP&C of any industry interest throughout process
• Work towards planned technology development milestones
|6 POST-TRANSACTION MANAGEMENT|
• Ensure deal compliance from external and internal parties, accuracy of payments, and distribution of income
• Work with IP&C to ensure follow-up items are completed
• Inform of any changes to inventorship or revenue share
• Disclose relationship through CMaRS system to Compliance Office